Tuesday, March 27, 2007

PC Playtime

Recently, I started a one-hour max PC playtime with Boz. It's a very powerful negotiating tool actually. Take a bath or no pc playtime, eat dinner or no pc playtime, put your toys away or no pc playtime. Bad no? hehehehehhee, Most of the time, kasi, we accomplish all these pre-bedtime routine activities with a lot of whining, running around and pleading. Now, I get to make him do what I want without a fuss! Cool huh?

We've been hanging out at Nick Jr. and Playhouse Disney - two very useful sites for toddlers like mine. The sites not only offered entertainment but also interactive games. More importantly, they not only serve to keep Boz busy while the rest of the household is watching their favorite soaps but it actually provides an opportunity for me to gauge my son's preparedness for school. He's turning 3 this May and I plan to enroll him at a preschool near our house this June.

Here are some of the games that we frequently play and my observations of my son's learning abilities:
  • Mousekepotter with Mickey and friends. Boz is good at recognizing shapes, patterns and colors.
  • His memory recall is improving, pairing up cards playing Dora's Matching Game.
  • Boz likes to dance and hop watching Choo Choo Soul. And he follows dance steps of the kids dancing with Genevieve.
  • I watch his creativity at work as he picks backdrops, place characters on the set and dress them up in Backyardigans Adventure Game.
  • He is afraid of characters with hoarse voices and old looks watching Sage's Stories. Weird though coz while he openly admitted that he is afraid of Sage, he wanted us to watch him again and again all the time peeping through the holes of the woven chair.
  • Boz is in love. We were playing some Little Einstein Games when he pointed out to the screen to this cartoon character named June and said "Kagwapa kay June... Girlfriend ko na siya!" (And ganda ni June. Girlfriend ko siya!)
  • Boz is also making good at being patient and more understanding of phrases such as "enough na", "last two games, tapos sleeping time na" and "bwas naman (bukas na naman)".
It's really fun, bonding, and learning and a very big help especially for moms like me who work 8 to 5 in the office and 6 to 9 at home. Somehow, I get to keep myself abreast with my son's development judging from his actions during our one-hour a day PC Playtime session.


No comments: