Saturday, August 05, 2006

Cars: The Legendary Lightning McQueen

My son is into cars ever since I can remember and he was not about to let go of this one. Cars the movie starring The Rookie, Lightning McQueen. Thanks to Hockney for the good copy of the movie, and Ninang Nanaks for letting us into this secret society of good-find-movies hehehehehehhe.

Anyways, we have been hooked with Lightning McQueen since then. By that I mean we had no choice but to play it on and on and on on our DVD player. I take my hats off to Boz’s Nanny for her unwavering support to his cause.

And since McQueen is a car, as expected, we had to have one too to add to our car collection! We missed the McDonald’s kiddie meal toy series on the movie (I can’t believe I actually missed it!). I saw though that Nestle was featuring the movie on its cereals. I have to admit that I was a bit stingy about buying one for my boy. For one, nobody eats cereals at home. Two, I had apprehensions about the car's appearance. For all I know, it might not be anything close to the real thing! And three, it’s just not on my grocery list (hehehe, just way too many excuses, eh?)

But just like any other time, I don’t get things done my way with Boz. We were in Bacolod one weekend and we had our usual trip to Lopue’s Grocery Store. I made it a point not to take the baby boy near the cereals lane. But with him running around and his father calling his attention to the very thing that I was avoiding, the inevitable had to happen.

Boz was all ecstatic carrying with him the box of cereals chanting, “Mama, McQueen! McQueen! McQueen!”

“No, baby, you don’t eat cereals!”

Ran to his papa. Papa motions him back to me mouthing, “Go ask Mama.”

“Mama, please! Please, Mama McQueen!”

“I won’t pay for that! Tell Papa if he wants you to have it he should pay for it.”

Ran back to his papa. Papa takes out his wallet, hands his son a 100-peso bill. And the baby runs to me waving the money shouting “Mama, money! Money ara!” and the sight just melted my heart. Hay….. And so, again, the mighty Boz won over me.

As expected he never even sampled the cereal. It's a good thing though that the free toy exceeded my expectations in terms of quality and appearance (see photo below). We've been taking McQueen along with us in most of our trips these days. He's been to church, to the mall, to the doctor's clinic. We've been sleeping with McQueen too! Who's to know for how long will his presence be felt in our lives. But I guess, until something new catches my little boy's fancy, he will be loved and adored.


No comments: